Tuesday, August 01, 2006

That's Mister Tony Blair to you
I realise I am pretty much the only person left in this country with any time for Tony Blair. What is it with me and Tone? I was telling the old ball and chain (hi, baby) about the spontaneous standing ovation he received in a hotel in San Francisco and my bottom lip actually started to go. I was a couple of shandies to the good (or bad), but even so, there's no excuse. Later, on the news, I saw him make a speech about the situation in the Middle East, pretty much the same speech he made before the war in Iraq, absolutely in his element as a politician, with a huge great bloody mess to sort out, and I fell for it all a second time. Fuck me, what a Statesman! Go Tony, go! Even his toe-curling banter with Arnold Schwarzenegger put a smile on my face. As you can imagine, I am dinner party gold: when Tony takes a pasting, I step in. And even I'm not convinced, anymore, by the words that come out of my mouth. I guess you're right: he's either an idiot or a liar. But undeterred, I plough on. Most people stop digging when the hole gets too deep. For me, it's a bigger spade.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have said it once, but I will say it again Mr Hollins, he is a Prime Minister, not a public speaker ... granted it is a skill worth having as the PM, but you need more and he has nothing left! The Terminator 28 or wherever we are up to these day, is the best offer you will get 'Tone' take it while it is there!

4:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home